Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Not really unemployed

After 23 years, 9 months and 24 1/2 days working for the same company, my career in the music industry ended last Friday. That's not really true -- I haven't felt as if I were in the music industry for a few years. It just doesn't exist the way it did and I'm lucky to have had as good and long a ride as I did.  God! We had so much fun.

So this ending of careers thing -- It wasn't entirely by choice but at the same time, I'd been stagnant for a while and definitely not happy.  Although I didn't have any say in the timing, I did actually set the ball in motion by outlining exactly the plan that the higher ups implemented so that I could have a somewhat graceful exit and they could re-configure the staffing model.

I moved to New York 25 years ago today. I was unemployed then. I am unemployed now. But now, I'm not really "unemployed" -- I'm just not paid for being more employed than I have been in ages. I made a list of what I needed to do in the next two weeks before I buckle down and begin my job search in earnest and that list just keeps getting longer. From making doctors' appointments to buying a new sofa to changing my phone plan and insurance carrier to regular household chores... it does seem never ending...but, I'm glad for the opportunity to finally get at the list.

25 years of working full time means that you never find the time to de-clutter. I need to clean house literally and figuratively. Do I need that antique 3-piece stag handled carving set my mother sent me for Christmas 2 years ago? Nope... it's going on eBay.  Do I need the friend who was only available for lunch when it was on the expense account? Probably not. Do I need to figure out what my next move is? Yes, but there's so much to consider and so many potential directions:

1) Stand up comedy -- It's hard and I wonder if I have the ambition and stamina to try it again after so many years.  I may not be as funny as I was and I'm definitely a bit lazier.
2) Cooking -- I've been blah blah blah about trying to work myself into a food-centric career for several years but when it comes down to it I'm not sure I want to work that hard anymore. Maybe something small, on the side. A condiment type of job.
3) Advertising  -- This is where I came from. I liked holding the reins but I'm not sure I want the kind of pressure I've been under for a few years now and how well my limited industry experience translates.
4) Downgrading -- by this I am not trying to cast aspersions on any particular line of work but acknowledge that with the high salary came high pressure and the need to perform. I'm older. I'm tired. I'd like to spend time with my kid and hopefully she'll behave better. Maybe I need to look at a lower paying, less stressful "career" or...plainly a job. I think I could get coffee for a big wig, make travel arrangements, answer phones. It's how I started and I was very good at it. But, how do you downgrade your resume from a VP to an executive assistant?

These are my thoughts today, as I make a home made dinner for my family, having sorted two bags of clothes for Good Will, mailed back some merchandise, took the dog for a walk, filled out an application for a cooking show and got some cash. And, I'm considering volunteering for the book fair at my daughter's school next week. Hmmmmm. Choices.

Next time - A bit about where I've been.

No comments: