Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day 3 - Reality Sets In

Monday didn't count -- it was a holiday for my old company and the kid was off of school.
So, that makes today, Thursday, day three of my first unemployed stint since 1988.  It's not getting easier yet. A few observations:

1) Deciding to drop off the charity items at the exact time they open is not the best idea. Apparently, there's a bit of leeway as far as opening times at not-for-profit retail. So I stood there for almost 15 minutes, waiting for someone to show up and hand me a blank receipt. Seriously -- they could just do a tear away and mount it outside the door.
2) Shopping or returning items at Macy's at seriously off peak hours is the way to go. Why did I not just save up all my shopping for 10am on a Thursday morning? Well, I was working before but I commend the usually slacker disinterested Macy's staff at Fulton Mall for actually being helpful and ..dare I say it...quick!
3) If you're not back at exactly the end time of opposite sides, you will not get a parking spot directly in front of your house. I moved the car at 9:28 and returned at 11:07, only 7 minutes after the time limit. I did get a spot a couple of doors up, on the same side of the street. I blame the slow women at Macy's !  (ha!) It was Good Will's fault.
4) Getting your "personal effects" delivered from your former company can drive you out of the house (emotionally) with the dog for a quick walk, ending in lunchtime drinking, flagging a friend on the street to join you and rushing home after to do the other things you were meant to do today. Ooops, and there's still the shopping.
5) It's a bad sign when you start posting pictures on Facebook of the dog and beer at 2pm on a Thursday.
6) Cinnamon has no place in beer. There, I said it. F' the pumpkin ale. I want beer, not apple pie.

Whoa...I need a job.

No comments: